Saturday 28 August 2010

Virtuality: The Bridge to Exploration

In today's modern, 21st century world it is easy to take for granted the technology we now use in our day-to-day activities (emails, chats, popular networking sites, etc.), without our even giving it a second thought yet the more I muse on the expanse, almost gaping depths of the virtual universe, I cannot cease to wonder...

With carefree ease are we able to traverse through the boundless space of binary codes and numbers, to caper from one planet of knowledge to the other, to immerse ourselves in the void of relentless intangibility and at the same time, in the midst of this flowing mass of information, find precisely what we are seeking...and how it boggles my mind when I am constrained to realise there still exist innumerable manifestations of absolute ignorance on the subject.

An interesting article; "Tapping Virtuality To Attract and Train 21st Century Teachers" @ http://thejournal.com/, explores the pedagogical potentials of the virtual environment, of introducing modern teaching methodologies by handing teachers digital tools while moving them to virtual classrooms and explains the absolute disfunctionality of "the old 'sit and get' model". Naturally, these innovative virtual spaces are not meant to replace RL institutions and interactivity in teaching but offer a fresh and new approach to lifelong learning. http://thejournal.com/Articles/2010/08/04/Tapping-Virtuality-To-Attract-and-Train-21st-Century-Teachers.aspx?Page=3

Indeed, as my thoughts take me to another point in space, to the more abstract world of harmony, I wonder where I would be if I were not granted the possibility of listening to the contemplative beauty of music offered to me by this same space of virtuality. Were I forced to travel to distant halls, to search for ingenious ensembles, gifted orchestras and virtuosos endowed with that unique spark of talent, no energy, time or place would there be spared for my thoughts to form, develop and effectuate into written words...

Harmony, beauty and ingenuity are now truly all but a click away...

No comments:

Post a Comment